The Story Behind
Laser Biotech International
Changing lives through the power of lasers
Offering high-performing superpulsed lasers with superior functionality that delivers high value, pain relief and health restoration
The Lumix Laser
Lumix superpulsed lasers were introduced to the United States in 2001 under IRB guidelines. In 2004, Lumix was cleared with the FDA as the first superpulsed laser in the US. In 2016, Lumix continued its laser technology leadership role with FDA clearance as the first therapeutic laser combining synchronized superpulsed and continuous wave emissions. Lumix “stepped out front” again in 2019 with higher pulse powers, producing superior tissue penetration and saturation that offers deeper, profound healing options.
Founder and Chief Technology Officer:
Dr. Nelson Marquina
Growing up in Peru in a family of professors and teachers, the young Marquina was a passionate student. Before long the curious scientist began to emerge. Interested in the effects of light, he conducted experiments using only a broken light bulb and the sun.
Arriving in the United States as a foreign student, his shoes disintegrated within two weeks of his arrival in wintry Michigan—a dramatic introduction to his new homeland. It was the first of many “adventures” of learning to navigate in a new environment, new culture and different language. These adventures have since become favorite stories that he shares with his well-known humor.
His earlier fascination with light and its effects were a predilection of his later studies in image processing, robotics engineering, artificial intelligence, human physiology and biochemistry, and energetic medicine. The alphabet train after his name reflects his penchant for expanding, synthesizing and applying what he learns. His scientific contributions to cutting edge technology applications in several industries reflects this commitment.
After directing a clinical trial for laser therapy and tracking the phenomenal results, Dr. Marquina felt compelled to bring advanced laser technology to the US. Putting together a team of engineers and physician partners, he co-founded USA Laser in 1999. Two decades later, he shifted his focus to bring laser therapy to new levels of understanding. In 2017 this vision brought him to his current venture—Laser Biotech International.
Dr. Nelson Marquina, MSc, PhD, DC is an accomplished author and international expert and educator of laser therapy.
Dr. Marquina conducts seminars and research presentations in laser phototherapy and photobiology in North America, Asia and South America. He has taught laser biophysics, bioelectromagnetic medicine and artificial intelligence while serving as faculty at several universities. Additionally, Dr. Marquina held corporate positions in technology development and management.
He is the author of the chapter Energy Medicine: Focus on Lasers in the third edition (2017) of the book, The Scientific Basis of Integrative Health. In clinical and lay language, the chapter leverages the benefits and integration of therapeutic lasers into medicine and healthcare. Dr. Marquina also contributed a chapter in the 2015 book Pain Relief and Healing with Lasers: Dental Protocols of Laser Treatments released in Japan.
He is an author/co-author of journal and research publications, most recently in laser-related works:
- “Biostimulation Effects of Superpulsed, High-Intensity, Low-Average Power Laser Application on the Timing of Orthodontic Aligner Sequencing of the Invisalign System” in Journal of Laser Dentistry
- “Effect of Laser Acupoint Treatment on Blood Pressure and Body Weight – a Pilot Study” in Journal of Chiropractic Medicine
- “Sagittal Plane Lumbar Spine Geometry Correlated to MRI Disc Pathology in Acute and Chronic Lower Back Pain” in Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics
- “Laser Therapy Applications for Osteoarthritis and Chronic Joint Pain – A Randomized Placebo-controlled Clinical Trial” in Photon Lasers Medicine
- “Tissue Regeneration Effect of High Intensity Diode Cold Lasers and the Clinical Applications in Periodontal Therapy” at 18th International Society for Laser Surgery and Medicine Congress – Laser Tokyo 2009
- “Low Level Laser Therapy on Knee Osteoarthritis” at Association of Chiropractic Colleges Annual Research Directors Conference
Laser Biotech International is committed to:
- Excellence in therapeutic laser technology. No other laser parallels the superpulsed capability of Lumix lasers for regenerative effects in cells.
- Bringing the potential of coherent light technology to its greatest resonance with the physiological, biochemical and electromagnetic potential of living tissue. Our lasers stimulate and amplify the body’s natural capabilities for healing.
- Promoting excellence in clinical effectiveness for patient well-being. Sponsoring continuing education events and resources on diverse laser treatment topics.
- Promoting interdisciplinary exchange for the applications of laser therapy, in conjunction with the Institute for Integrative Therapies, an inter-disciplinary group of healthcare practitioners.
- Being a good steward of its community. As an example, the company is proud to sponsor Lumix superpulsed laser therapy for injuries, conditioning, and rehab for the Richmond Black Widows, Virginia’s most-winning women’s contact football team.